Last night, our Blackboard instance went through a scheduled maintenance that brought us to version 9.1 Q2 2017. While the version may not mean much to you, we wanted to take the time to let you know about what new features you have in store when you return in the new year.
New Features with 9.1 Q2 2017
Additional drag-and-drop locations
File drag and drop are now supported in the following areas:
- Content Editor – embed attachment
- Blank Page content type
- Blog – Create Entry
- Journal – Create Entry
- Portfolio – add Artifact
Submission receipts enhancements
Students can receive a notification email for each assignment attempt with information about the submission including attached files. Students can also access receipts at any time on the My Grades page in the submissions filter area. Administrators can optionally disable the email notifications.
Blackboard Ally availability
When you return, you will have access to Blackboard Ally. As we have told you in our previous newsletter articles, Ally is a service for improving the accessibility of content in the following ways:
- Ally presents instructors and content authors with an accessibility score and coaches users in ways to improve the accessibility of materials.
- Ally creates and presents students with automatically-generated alternative versions of uploaded files and creating accessible HTML, digital braille, and audio format files.
- Ally allows administrators to see accessibility scores of materials across courses and track changes over time to plan, measure, and improve accessibility.
Blackboard Ally how-to
Starting January 4th, we will offer a fully-online course (in Blackboard) where you can learn about Ally, how it works and even earn a “Blackboard Ally” certification. Enroll today!
Inline grading moves from Crocodoc to Box View
Blackboard’s original way to do inline grading (Crocodoc) has been upgraded and replaced by the owners of that software (Box Inc.) to Box View. Box View offers several improvements over Crocodoc, including improved rendering fidelity and expanded support for new file types. Check out this list of over 100 different supported file types.
For more information, watch this video from Blackboard.
Aside from these great new features and tools, Blackboard also squashed some bugs that had been pestering us.
Bugs fixed with 9.1 Q2 2017
- Users not Getting Emails While Subscribed to Discussion Board Forum
- Temp Files Received While Sending Email Attachments from the Grade Center
- Embedded Media Controls Unresponsive in Test Questions
- Embedded Media does not play when used as a Question in Assessments
- Error when Viewing Test Attempts in Grade Center