Welcome back Bearkat faculty! The Fall 2016 semester is here and so are the SHSU Online faculty development opportunities!
- Go fully online and earn your Teaching Online with Blackboard or Multimedia Master Certifications by enrolling in one of our two Blackboard certification options.
- Enroll in our Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Webinar and learn how to use the Collaborate Ultra by participating in an online web meeting that uses the tool.
- Attend one of the face-to-face how-to sessions here at the main campus or at our Woodlands location.
- Sign up for one-on-one sessions. These sessions can be 5 minutes to an hour and can take place in your office, ours, over the phone and online. Use the same link to sign up for face-to-face or one-on-one sessions. Just select a topic or come up with one of your own and we’ll do it!
Visit the SHSU Online Faculty Development How-to Session page to sign up for the following courses:
Fully Online Sessions (see below for full session descriptions)
- Teaching Online With Blackboard [Cohort 9] – Enroll in each of the 4 courses separately.
- 9/6/2016 – Blackboard Learn: Course Building
- 9/20/2016 – Blackboard Learn: Communication
- 10/04/2016 – Blackboard Learn: Assessment
- 10/18/2016 – Teaching Online: Strategies for Success
- 9/12/2016 – Multimedia in Blackboard Courses [Self-Paced]
- 9/14/2016 – Blackboard Collaborate: The Ultra Experience – Webinar – 1pm
Main Campus Sessions (see below for full session descriptions)
- 9/16/2016 – ProctorFree Online Proctoring for Bb Exams & Quizzes – 1pm
- 9/19/2016 – Blackboard Learn: Using the Grade Center
Woodlands Campus Sessions (see below for full session descriptions)
- 9/13 – Blackboard & More – By Request 5pm TWC 209
Visit the SHSU Online Faculty Development How-to Session page to sign up
Development Session Descriptions
Multimedia in Blackboard Courses: This fully-online certification course provides the Blackboard instructor with the knowledge and skills in both the acquisition and implementation of multimedia for online/face-to-face and hybrid courses. Technologies and best practices are examined in the context of student engagement and success.
Participants can choose to complete all module activities for this course and receive a Multimedia Certification or just complete any of the modules that interests them, a la carte.
Teaching Online with Blackboard: A fully-online cohort based training option for faculty wishing to improve their online teaching skills. The certification consists of four courses aimed at preparing an instructor to master the online teaching environment through Blackboard. Courses included within this series comprise the following:
- Course Building: 2-week course that will equip online instructors with building and sharing content in their online courses.
- Communication: 2-week course that will cover tools of communication, as well as applicable communication strategies for online course management.
- Assessment: 2-week course that introduces participants to how to get started assessing their student’s learning in an online class.
- Teaching Online– Strategies for Success: 2-Week course that presents participants with the opportunity to explore best practices for creating engaging and effective online learning environments.
Blackboard Collaborate – The Ultra Experience: Synchronous collaboration in Blackboard just got a whole lot easier. Introducing Blackboard Collaborate – The Ultra Experience. In real-time, share audio, video, chat, files, whiteboard and software applications on your computer with your classmates and instructor. No java plugin needed! Collaborate Ultra runs inside your Internet browser! Session lasts approximately 60 minutes.
ProctorFree – Online Proctoring for Blackboard Exams: This one hour session covers how to use ProctorFree for your online exams & quizzes in Blackboard. ProctorFree is an on-demand, automated online proctoring service that deters cheating in an online testing environment. Using bio-metric and machine learning technologies, ProctorFree has eliminated the need for a human proctor during testing. This innovative technology creates a convenient testing option for distance education students and increases the credibility of online certificates and degrees for higher education institutions.
Blackboard Learn: Using the Grade Center: Participants will learn how to use the Blackboard Grade Center to record data, calculate grades, and monitor student progress. Manage students’ grades and create grade columns for any activities or requirements you wish to grade.
Blackboard & More – By Request: This one hour session is scheduled for SHSU Blackboard instructors who can’t quite make it to Huntsville. An SHSU Online Blackboard export will be at the Woodlands Campus to help answer questions, provide solutions, demonstrations and more around Blackboard and interfacing software applications.