July is here, and so is a helpful list of SHSU Online faculty development opportunities!
- Go fully online and earn your Teaching Online with Blackboard or Multimedia Master Certifications by enrolling in one of our two online development options.
- Attend one of the face-to-face how-to sessions.
- Sign up for one-on-one sessions. These sessions can be 5 minutes to an hour and can take place in your office, ours, over the phone and online. Use the same link to sign up for face-to-face or one-on-one sessions. Just select a topic or come up with one of your own and we’ll do it!
Visit the SHSU Online Faculty Development How-to Session page to sign up for the following courses:
Fully Online Sessions (see below for full session descriptions)
- Multimedia in Blackboard Courses [Self-Paced]
- Teaching Online With Blackboard [Cohort 8] (Starts July 5th)
Main Campus Sessions (see below for full session descriptions)
- 7/7/2016 – Blackboard Collaborate – The Ultra Experience 1pm
- 7/20/2016 – ProctorFree Online Proctoring for Bb Exams & Quizzes – 1pm
- 7/25/2016 – Kaltura: Lecture & Screen Capture in Blackboard 1pm
Woodlands Campus Sessions (see below for full session descriptions)
- 7/19 – Blackboard & More – By Request 4pm TWC 209
Visit the SHSU Online Faculty Development How-to Session page to sign up
Development Session Descriptions
Multimedia in Blackboard Courses: This fully-online certification course provides the Blackboard instructor with the knowledge and skills in both the acquisition and implementation of multimedia for online/face-to-face and hybrid courses. Technologies and best practices are examined in the context of student engagement and success.
Participants can choose to complete all module activities for this course and receive a Multimedia Certification or just complete any of the modules that interests them, a la carte.
Teaching Online with Blackboard: A fully-online cohort based training option for faculty wishing to improve their online teaching skills. The certification consists of four courses aimed at preparing an instructor to master the online teaching environment through Blackboard. Courses included within this series comprise the following:
- Course Building: 2-week course that will equip online instructors with building and sharing content in their online courses.
- Communication: 2-week course that will cover tools of communication, as well as applicable communication strategies for online course management.
- Assessment: 2-week course that introduces participants to how to get started assessing their student’s learning in an online class.
- Teaching Online– Strategies for Success: 2-Week course that presents participants with the opportunity to explore best practices for creating engaging and effective online learning environments.
Blackboard Collaborate – The Ultra Experience: Synchronous collaboration in Blackboard just got a whole lot easier. Introducing Blackboard Collaborate – The Ultra Experience. In real-time, share audio, video, chat, files, whiteboard and software applications on your computer with your classmates and instructor. No java plugin needed! Collaborate Ultra runs inside your Internet browser! Session lasts approximately 60 minutes.
ProctorFree – Online Proctoring for Blackboard Exams: This one hour session covers how to use ProctorFree for your online exams & quizzes in Blackboard. ProctorFree is an on-demand, automated online proctoring service that deters cheating in an online testing environment. Using bio-metric and machine learning technologies, ProctorFree has eliminated the need for a human proctor during testing. This innovative technology creates a convenient testing option for distance education students and increases the credibility of online certificates and degrees for higher education institutions.
Kaltura – Lecture Capture in Blackboard: Adding video to our Blackboard course just became easier! This 60-90 minute session covers how to add video to your Blackboard course using the Kaltura Mashup tool. Attendees will learn how to record and upload video from their webcam as well as capture what is on their own computer screen (PowerPoints etc.).
Blackboard & More – By Request: This one hour session is scheduled for SHSU Blackboard instructors who can’t quite make it to Huntsville. An SHSU Online Blackboard export will be at the Woodlands Campus to help answer questions, provide solutions, demonstrations and more around Blackboard and interfacing software applications.