SHSU Online will be adopting Blackboard Learn (9.1.8) as recommended by the Faculty Senate. Starting in the Fall 2012 semester, Blackboard Learn is replacing the campus’ current Blackboard 8 Learning Management System. We are extremely excited about the new features of Blackboard Learn to enhance the educational experience for students, as well as faculty. Some of these upgraded features include:
- Content collaboration with the use of e-Portfolios and content repositories
- Outcomes assessment, the ability to tie learning objects to department, division and university goals
- Ability to collaborate in live classrooms, synchronous webinars, and more to create the best learning environment for students
- Voice tools to record audio anywhere in courses
- Mobile Learn – for students and faculty on the go
- Connect – ability to receive text messaging updates from courses on your mobile device
Instructors will be able to grade course work via rubrics, place wikis and blogs directly in courses, share one piece of content across multiple courses, and access a more robust grade book.
In addition to Blackboard Learn, we are integrating Kaltura, an open source video platform for video publishing, management, and playback. Instructors, as well as students, will have the capability to upload video directly to courses and viewers will be able to watch the video in any video player they might have.